Fetta recipe

Looking for cheese, yogurt, butter, ice-cream and all things dairy? Here's where recipes are posted for making dairy products.
Forum rules
Recipes are posted by individual people, some use pasteurised milk some not. This is entirely up to the individual to decide if they wish to pasteurise their milk prior to cheesemaking or making other dairy product. This forum does not make any recommendations in regard to pasteurisation of milk.
Hayhay

Fetta recipe

Postby Hayhay » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:16 pm

You will need:
- 8 litres unhomogenised milk
- 160ml ultra-pasteurised milk
- Type A starter culture
- Rennet

The night before:
- Boil 1/2 litre of water to cool overnight.
- Prepare the starter. Add a few grains of Type A starter culture to 160ml (or more) of ultrapasteurised milk, which has been brought to 25 - 30C. Shake to mix and maintain temperature at 20 - 30C overnight. (you must use the starter within 2 days)

To make the feta:
- Heat milk to 32C
- Place milk into an appropriate sized container (I use a plastic tub).
- Add the starter culture. Mix in well.
- You can add lipase now if you prefer (I'm vegie so I don't). Dissolve 1/4 teaspoon in cool boiled water. Mix in well to milk.
- Dilute 1.28ml of rennet into 12.8ml of cool boiled water. Immediately pour into the milk whilst stirring and stir well for between 1 and 3 minutes - no more.
- Wrap the container up well to maintain temperature (I use a few towels). Leave to set for 60 - 90 minutes.
-After 60 minutes check the firmness of the curd. Once at desired firmness, cut into 1cm cubes; lengthways, widthways and across.
-Leave curd to stand for 1 hour.
- Gently stir the curd by lifting and turning with a slotted spoon.
- Leave to stand for 1 more hour. Then stir again.
- Drain off whey then spoon curd into feta baskets. Place a piece of cheesecloth over the top.
- After 1/2 hour, upend the basket. After another 1/2 hour, flip the basket again. Continue turning every two hours. Leave overnight at room temperature.

Make brine for next day. For a 12% solution bring 880ml of water and 120g of salt to boiling point. Allow to cool and store in the fridge. Or for a 15% solution (VERY salty!) use 150g salt in 850ml water.

Next day:
Remove feta from the basket and place into the brine. The best container is one that is only just bigger than the feta.

You can store the feta for 2 months in the fridge this way. Or you can cut it into cubes and store in oil.

pam

Re: Fetta recipe

Postby pam » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:56 pm

Thanks for posting this recipe Hayley; as soon as the school holidays are over I will have a go at it. :D
Cheers
Pam

peta

Postby peta » Tue May 17, 2011 1:15 am

Hiya ..just wondering I've been told you an cut fetta up cover with oil...seal in jar and leave unrefridgerated for 6 months to a year ..is this true?

charlene

Postby charlene » Wed May 18, 2011 11:10 am

Hi Peta,
You can cut fetta up and store in oil, but I don't know about storing it in the pantry.
I would keep it in the fridge, but you could do a trial batch keeping one jar in the
pantry and the other in the fridge. Then you could determine if it will keep or if it
deteriorates.
If you are going to store the fetta in the fridge the oil mix needs to be 1/3 olive oil
to 2/3 either safflower, canola, sunflower etc. the reason being that just straight olive
oil will solidify in the fridge.
Give it a go and let us know how it works out.
Charlene

Hayhay

Postby Hayhay » Sat May 21, 2011 3:42 pm

Just what Charlene said!

I know you can keep it in oil unrefrigerated but I don't know how long for....

When I've done it I've used 1/3 olive oil with 2/3 organic canola oil and kept it down the bottom of the fridge. Though it still solidifies when I use it for dried tomatoes!

Return to “Cheese and Dairy Recipes”