Incubating starters

Looking for cheese, yogurt, butter, ice-cream and all things dairy? Here's where recipes are posted for making dairy products.
Forum rules
Recipes are posted by individual people, some use pasteurised milk some not. This is entirely up to the individual to decide if they wish to pasteurise their milk prior to cheesemaking or making other dairy product. This forum does not make any recommendations in regard to pasteurisation of milk.
rdtj04

Incubating starters

Postby rdtj04 » Fri May 22, 2009 9:56 am

Hello everyone, Russell has asked me to ask if anyone would be able to share how they incubate their starters at 37 degrees, without fish tank heaters, as we don't have one Vicki :lol: .

Many thanks
Cheers

Hayhay

Re: Incubating starters

Postby Hayhay » Mon May 25, 2009 9:24 pm

I use one of a few things......depending on how many jars I need to incubate!

First up is the Easiyo thermos container. Also a esky type thermos which [i]just[i] fits a jar inside - actually this maintains temperature even better.

Secondly I use one of those freezer bags from coles with the jar sitting in the correct temp water. Then every now and then tip the water and refill with fresh water at the correct temp.

Thirdly, if I'm REALLY pressed for space, I sit it in a jar of warm water and wrap it up in towels!

An esky might be Ok if you have one - stand the jars in the right-temp water and check regularly.

Shadowgirlau

Re: Incubating starters

Postby Shadowgirlau » Tue May 26, 2009 8:48 am

I have used a crockpot set on low, half filled with water and a jar int he middle of it. Sorry can't remember now what the temp sat at but it did work.

Kathleen
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Return to “Cheese and Dairy Recipes”