giday from cranbourne

Please introduce yourself and let us welcome you.
shaun859

giday from cranbourne

Postby shaun859 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:37 pm

Hi all really excited about canning and preserving after seeing it done as a child and quite a few days picking fruit as a kid for mum going to have a red hot crack at it myself pretty sure my wife thinks I have really lost it this time but sick of supermarkets and additives in all the food we eat so im getting a canner and jars and will try and slowly fill the pantry

Shadowgirlau

Re: giday from cranbourne

Postby Shadowgirlau » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:44 am

Hi,
Welcome. What are you planning to 'Can' Put Up' or 'Preserve' for your first foray into this new area of your life? I warn you, it can become addicting once you get past the first flush of feeling overwhelmed with just how much time it takes. Saying this though, I will let you in on one of my secrets ;) time reducing methods to manage the whole process (actually it isn't really mine, I just thought that if all those TV chefs do it then it must be time saving).

Preparation, have everything for your planned venture - peeled (if necessary), diced & soaking, measured/weighed out and ready to use before you actually start as it makes the process so much easier and timely. Well it does for me anyway though I am sure you will find a method that is just perfect for you as you do more and more canning etc. Look forward to hearing more from you about your endeavors.

Happy canning :)
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

shaun859

Postby shaun859 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi im going to have a crack at spuds and soup (veg) just trying to find jars want use the fowlers jars its slowly coming together will keep you posted thanks for asking

Shadowgirlau

Postby Shadowgirlau » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:10 pm

Your Welcome,
Soups & veggies are low acid food and will require 'Pressure Canning' as it is called. I think I have written about pressure canning on here in the past? Either way when I get some more free time I must put up a new post to re visit the method as I have done for water bathing.

Cheers
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Return to “Introductions”