Spiced Plum Jam

Sharing our recipes... all the wonderful recipes made with our produce or not.
Shadowgirlau

Spiced Plum Jam

Postby Shadowgirlau » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:03 am

While going through my freezer to see what might lurk there forgotten I came across a 2 litre container of plums that I had frozen to do something with in the winter. Here winter is almost over and I had forgotten all about those plums so having come across them rather than use them on breakfasts or in muffins etc I decided to make this instead.

Spiced Plum Jam

4 c. plums, pitted and chopped
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
Combine the plums and sugar in a medium-sized saucepan. After the sugar has melted and the mixture starts to boil, simmer, stirring constantly for about 20 minutes. The mixture will get very hot and start to thicken. This is when you really need to watch the mixture so that it does not scorch and stick to the pan.
When the mixture starts to thicken, you can see if it's done by testing it. Place a small plate in the freezer for a few minutes. Take the plate out and place a small spoonful of the plum mixture on the plate. Place the plate back in the freezer for at least a minute. Take the plate out and gently push the plum mixture with your finger. The mixture should have a thin film on it that "wrinkles" when you push on it. If it is still runny, cook for a few more minutes and then test again. It doesn't have to be super thick, keep in mind that it will further thicken while cooling off in the jar.
Pour the plum mixture into your sterilized canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
Place the sterilized lids and rings on the jars, screwing on the rings until they are barely tight. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes then remove the jars from the water and place on a towel on the counter, letting them sit undisturbed for 24 hours. Press on the tops of the lids to make sure they have sealed.
If they sealed, you can store them for a year or more in your pantry. If one or more jars have not sealed, place in the refrigerator, they are still good to eat, you just can't store them in the cupboard.
Yum!
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Return to “Recipe sharing at the Kitchen Bench”